Saturday, November 6, 2010

what a good day

Pin It It all started with a change meeting at my favorite local quilt shop.

The lady across the counter seemed familiar to me... and she couldn't stop looking at my son with that "why do I know this child?" kind of thought.

"Are you Pam?"
"I'm 'traceyjay.'"

Since then, I've ran in to Pam a few times, and exchanged a few emails (including her offer to pick me up and take me to Pacific International Quilt Festival -- which, sadly, I couldn't attend)...

She invited me to a class in needle-turn appliqué led by Tonye Phillips.  (Tonye makes gorgeous quilts, with intricate appliqué, that remind me a bit of Beetlejuice meets Little Red Riding Hood.)

an incredible quilt by Tonye Phillips
quilt by Tonye Phillips

But that's where I was yesterday.

It is the first time I've ever had any kind of quilting class, or even sewn with people in real life (not counting my junior high 4-H lessons).

And it felt good.

Here is my first little bit of needleturn appliqué!

my first Needle turn appliqué

Because I was right next door to the quilt shop, and because the boy was at home with his grandma... I did a *little* extra special shopping.

Fabric shouldn't be this pretty.

Naomi Ito
Naomi Ito for Nani Iro (hope I got those right)

And when it is, it is impossible to resist.

some more Little Folks voile

Speaking of fabric... I met the lovely Mrs. McPorkchop at the class.  Not only did the girl make the most amazing egg-nog cheesecake I've ever eaten (with homemade graham crackers in the crust no less!), but she gave me this.

my first (and only) little bits of FMF
some FMF from Mrs. McPorkchops

The little sproutlings!  I the little sproutlings.

----------------

Though not nearly as delicious as the aforementioned cheesecake, I did make a favorite salad of mine (that I didn't think to take a picture of until I got it home and was eating my fourth  second bowl.

"Flying Farmer Chicken Salad."
(made with rice from our field... yes, the one right outside my house... yep, we farm rice... don't you think about making this with Uncle Ben's... you can get really good "Calrose" rise in the Asian food section of most grocery stores... yes, it is California rice that is coming back from Japan)

Flying Farmer Chicken Salad
Flying Farmer Chicken salad


5 c. cooked chicken, diced
2 tbsp. salad oil
2 tbsp. orange juice
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. celery
1 1/2 c. green grapes (sliced)
1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges (drained)
1 (13 oz.) can pineapple tidbits (drained)
1 c. slivered almonds, toasted
3 c. cooked rice
1 1/2 c. mayonnaise (Don't put all of it in at once -- you probably only need 1 cup)
Mix first 5 ingredients and let stand 4 to 5 hours or overnight. Add remaining ingredients and chill for a couple of hours.


I decided to snap a picture with Pam before I left.  Thank you friend for making this day possible!

with "Library Gal" Pam

----------------------

P.S.  While I was gone, my mother-in-law helped clean my house (which I so appreciate!), so I was free to get this little project started. :)

WIP with Little Folks

16 comments:

Vesuviusmama said...

Good thing I wasn't there, or I'd be cooling my jets in jail right now for having tried to run off with her stunning quilt. WOW! And I love your description of Beetlejuice meets Little Red Riding Hood. I can see that.

Sarah Craig said...

Wow, Tracey, you had a good day!! And that chicken salad looks awesome- I'm going to have to give it a try!

Katie B said...

Wow, that does sound like an awesome day! Can't wait to see what you make with those little diamonds.

Karen said...

Sounds like you had a really great day, Tracey! Your salad recipe sounds delicious!

Karen

Cat said...

Hmmm I need a Mother In Law!
I want to try that salad too - I wonder if I could convince the kidlets to try it?

Cat said...

Hmmm I need a Mother In Law!
I want to try that salad too - I wonder if I could convince the kidlets to try it?

Mama Pea said...

Wow, that's amazing that you've never taken a class before or sewn with people in real life. It is great, isn't it?! Sounds like you had a great time. The salad looks delicious, and your needle turn applique looks good!

Nicole Morris said...

Ah applique...I am warning you it is addicting. The more techniques the better. I used all of them, needle turn, freezer paper, starch, glue... Fun project and I love the story about your new friend.

AllieKatMom said...

Wow a fun day!!! You did a lot, I could for sure use a day like that!

Poppyprint said...

What fun!!! That class looked amazing and the house quilt is so adorable. Love all of your new fabric, especially the grey Japanese one. Beauty! (you look very cute, too).

Sara said...

Your Japanese fabric purchase is so cute and I am excited to see what you do with it!

Sewing with friends is A REAL blessing, you know that!

That chicken rice dish looks divine!

Amanda Elizabeth said...

It was so nice to meet you Tracey!!!!!!! <3<3!!!

Peris said...

sounds like a wonderful day....we used to live in Chico and when we drove to Sacramento I remember passing all the rice fields on the way....it always seemed so peaceful!!!!

Anonymous said...

oooh, I am so craving that rice! :) yum! and love the new project :) Esther

Anonymous said...

Wow! That does sound like a great day! I am definitely going to make the chicken recipe......yummy!

Debbie in Chico/Sacto said...

What a great pic of you and Pam. Glad I had an opportunity to meet you and hope to see you again soon. I got sucked in to the Japanese fabric the next day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails