Tuesday, November 9, 2010

a doll quilt for a friend

Pin It I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner... but swapping with a friend really is more fun (at least some of the time).

This is the little doll quilt I made for miss Krista of Poppyprint creates.  If you haven't met Krista yet, you really should, because she is the perfect blend of artistic and scientific, sympathetic and realistic, and all kinds of encouraging and genuine.

My goal is to drive up the 5 to her land of Canada one day quite soon.

Krista's doll quilt all finished

Originally, I was going to use a different design from Material Obsession 2, when I saw a little blog post of miss Krista's.

Thankfully, I knew a cheater way to make those lone star diamonds, and had even made one before, so this weekend, after adding a few new voiles to my collection, I got started.

And then I wanted to finish.

Krista's doll quilt all finished

I made an error with a few of my measurements, and consequently had to change some of the fabric selections (I didn't want to waste Little Folks), but I still think it turned out beautifully.  

I also wasn't sure how to quilt it, and Krista, I hope you don't mind what I settled with... I really wanted the fabric to stand out on the quilt (because it's so pretty).

The border is one of my favorite parts of the quilt (that and the purple diamonds), so I chose my binding so as to enhance and not detract from the border.  

The linen is the heavy linen from Moda's French General.

I hope you love it!  No rush on the return Krista!  As soon as I get the label sewn on, I'll mail it your way.

(The reality is, I have a Christmas to make list a mile long, a couple more swap items, and just got our insurance changed over finally ;) ;)... Since I don't know how much sewing I'll be doing in a couple months, I wanted to get it done now!). :)

P.S.  Thank you everyone for all the love on "I Dance in Circles."


14 comments:

Poppyprint said...

You are a wonderful friend Tracey. I simply adore this especially special quilt and cannot wait to proudly hang it. Your design decisions were all perfect! I would LOVE for you to hit the I-5 and come for a visit...or maybe we should meet in the middle in that hotbed of quilting talent: Portland?
xo
K

AllieKatMom said...

OMG OMG OMG....I am totally ignoring the beautiful quilt at the moment!!!

You changed over your insurance!! AHHHHHHHH!! Do you know what that means? AHHHHHHHH!!

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Lesly said...

Oooh, it's lovely! Is there anything you can tell us about your "cheater way" of making the lone star diamonds?

holly | bijou lovely said...

It's beautiful!! And I'm sure very soft...love little folks voile!

Regina said...

Love it! That pattern is on my list. Who am I kidding every pattern I ever see is on my list.

Amy Friend said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. I love it. I am sure Krista will treasure it. What a wonderful swap!

Meghan said...

Oh an easier way to do the lone star patchwork pattern? I did the blazing star and that was enough for me.

Katie B said...

Tracey! This is just perfect. I love everything about it!

verykerryberry said...

That quilt is utterly lovely, the voiles altogether- colours and patterns- in the start just look wonderful

Unknown said...

Wow, you have some seriously beautiful quilts! Glad I stopped by (jumped over from FITF)!

Mama Pea said...

It's beautiful! Love the linen you used, too!

pinksuedeshoe said...

If you are meeting Krista in Portland I'm coming.... I'll even come pick you up :o) This is so beautiful, I absolutely love it. Love love love. (insert cutie little heart that you can do that I can't but wish I could...)

Molly @ Me and Madeline said...

I LOVE this!! Love, love, love.

Karen said...

How beautiful! Great job, Tracey!

I've always shied away from these!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails