Wednesday, November 24, 2010

done in time

Pin It I put it in the mail for my sister-in-law this morning (apparently, they already have their tree). :P

12 Days tree skirt

The design was an amalgamation of Allison's Easy Double Hourglass (but done with jelly roll strips instead of 2 1/4" strips) and my "Fruitcake under my tree" pattern.  And then I added a mitered border (mitering corners on an octagon is not as straight forward as right angles... by the way... but it still worked).

the indoor shot

I didn't do the math specifically; I just had to bisect the angle where the setting triangles and blocks met to make the border like this.

The fabric is from the 12 Days of Christmas line, by the lovely Kate Spain.

12 Days tree skirt

For the quilting -- I went to a class called "Beyond Stippling," last weekend with Debbie of One Stitch Off. :)  Debbie actually let me borrow her Juki after the class so I could finish it up!  (Thank you again Debbie!)
The quilting was done free motion in a holly leaf pattern, that I was really quite proud of actually.

my free motion quilting -- holly leaves

up close

I ♥ this tree skirt a lot, and didn't want to send it away.

swinging tree skirt

But I did.

I hope you love it Sharon.

(It was freezing out this morning when I took these, so I didn't get the best shots/have the best light -- but it works!)

_____________________

A few closing words:

* I am still working on gathering logistics for some kind of quilt shop where the proceeds go to Haiti's orphans.  (If you'd like to donate some benevolence in the mean time, you can go see what Heather and the gang are up to with Modern Relief.)  I think we'll call it "Quilt in Hope..." Any other suggestions?  (Lee at Freshly Pieced is going to design our logo). :)  Be making/saving your quilts for donating though. :)

* My mom took me shopping on Monday.  I didn't get a Juki.  I got this.  It is probably the closest I will ever come to feeling like I felt when I went wedding dress shopping.  Pictures coming soon.

* Happy Thanksgiving friends.

*If you're in the mood for some Black Friday cyber shopping... Accuquilt is having a sale. :)

21 comments:

AllieKatMom said...

Ooooh I love t!! Love the quilting and the red border too!

Melissa Corry said...

I love the tree skirt and you should be super proud of the quilting. It looks amazing!! Congrats on your new "baby". That is so super exciting for you!

Karen said...

Tracey, the quilting is stunningly beautiful! You really have learned that fast!

The tree skirt is gorgeous and I'm sure they will love it.

Karen

Diane said...

Beautiful quilting! Congrats on your new machine. I am looking forward to hearing more about it and how you came to chose it.

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

Congrats on getting a new machine! and the skirt is darling!!!! I have my tree up too! :)

Pinky said...

The tree skirt is great! I just put up my tree last night! :)

what is the fabric on the binding?

p.s. your holly free hand quilting is AMAZING! I'm super impressed!

A Plain Path said...

That is gorgeous! And the motif is perfectly charming. Beautiful!

Poppyprint said...

a) Gorgeous treeskirt - love that line and your design is beautiful
b) fmq holly leaf motif is amazing, you should be proud!
c) congrats on your new baby!!
d) your mom rocks (I assume)
e) Happy Thanksgiving!

Lynette said...

I love it!!!!! THe border is just perfect.

Katie B said...

Lovely, Tracey! Beautiful quilting.

jabeybaby said...

Very cute! I have been really thinking about making a tree skirt with this fabric out of your pattern. I love how yours turned out!

KarrieLyne said...

Fantastic job on your quilting Tracey!!! I wish I was that brave but I can't even draw to save my life so pictorial quilting scares me!

Cherie said...

Wow! That free motion quilting is GORGEOUS!

Amelia said...

I love the tree skirt .. the quilting is just superb!!

sewfunbymonique said...

That is just an amazing work of art! It must have been hard sending that off!! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Linda said...

Congratulations! Both on finishing the tree skirt--which looks wonderful!--and your new tool! It looks like a terrific machine and you'll have lots of fun with it.
Lurking Linda

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

Oh my - you have green grass and you think its freezing out? Our high for yesterday was -23 celsius which translates to -9 fahrenheit. That was our high!! Do you have snow for Christmas? I will gladly trade you places this winter.
The tree skirt is fabulous though and your holly hocks are lovely!

Cindy said...

Awesome job on the skirt... and i'm jealous of the machine.. can't wait to see what you do with it!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I decided tonight that next year I'm making my MIL a tree skirt for Christmas. I wish I would have thought of that before right now, but ah well. Next year will be fine. Also... your machine? Seriously amazing. 460 Stitches and 17 feet? I think that might be better than a wedding dress. Like for real. I mean, no disrespect to the dress and all, but did it have 17 feet? I thought not.

Donna S. said...

That tree skirt is beautiful!!

Kate D. Spain said...

tracey, i am in love with your tree skirt! you did such a beeeutiful job! and congratulations on your new sewing machine! what a nice mom you have to make such a spontaneous act of kindness. you deserve it. xo, k

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails