Sunday, November 21, 2010

I want your quilts (and watch this space)!

Pin It Last night, while Jay was snuggling Steiger to sleep (he's better at it than mommy is), I was sitting and aimlessly staring at the computer.  I clicked on Allison's (cluckclucksew Allison) blog, and she had this post.  And then I clicked on her link.

She linked to the blog of a family working in Haiti.



And then, when Jay came back out of Steiger's room, I was quiet and crying.

SO.....

I couldn't rest until I figured out a way to help.  (I also couldn't stop crying).

_____________________________

Nine years ago, I came home from teaching in Taiwan for my Christmas vacation.  At that point, I honestly believed I was coming home to say goodbye to friends and family, because I didn't know how long I would end up being in Asia.  My "plan" was to learn the language (I was good; I literally "picked up" Chinese), and figure out how to get in with the Chinese government somehow (I was ambitious too), so that I could work with improving the lives of orphans in China.

It didn't happen.

I can't lie that I felt a little bit despairingly last night after reading that post, that maybe I had chosen the wrong life path.

I listed a quilt for sale last week, that (I believe) has a buyer waiting to get to a secure internet connection to buy it.  The money was going to go towards a new machine.

A new machine will have to wait (or get a generous loan from Steiger's grandparents).

I have some more projects that I made just because I like creating beautiful things (even if they have no intended purpose), that I plan to sell.  BUT -- while I'm waiting for logistical information, I wanted to tell you all of my plan so you can join in.

We might not have a lot of disposable income, but I do have some quilts and I do have the world-wide web to help me find those people who might want, not only a pretty hand-made gift, but also for that money to go to big and little babes in a place with way too much suffering.



So I don't have all the details yet, but I will!

(And in the meantime, Allison sent me a link to this orphanage... if you're feeling so moved to do something right at this moment).

10 comments:

Poppyprint said...

You go girl. I love all of the philanthropy that's going on in blogland for the holidays, and the opportunities it creates for us all.♥

Julie said...

I'll certainly try and join in. Don't have much energy just now for organising things but would love to put some sewing to good use. Well done. juliex

Lee said...

Wonderful idea. I read that post too, and was just heartbroken. I'll help however I can!

Cat said...

I'm in (as long as it isn't November or December) I'll do what I can - just have to get these quilts to Christchurch finished first.

Mama Pea said...

We have so much stuff, it's getting to the point where it's hard to think about buying MORE for the holidays. I have seriously considered that all our gift giving should be donations somewhere in someone's name. I think the "stuff" would be better used there by people who really need it.

PioneerValleyGirl said...

Wonderful idea - if you have details, I'll do what I can to help. I certainly have quilts to put to a good cause.

Meghan said...

What a beautiful post. I can't wait to hear the details, I can knit you up anything if you are looking for items like that!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. That's a lot to think about. How can I make a difference? is what I'm wondering about.

xo -El

Brooke said...

I just read that blog post this morning and cried too, especially at the mention of the baby girl soothing herself as tears rolled down her sweet cheeks. What a great way to give when there are so many without.

Regina said...

That's so heartbreaking. It all gets so overwhelming. I'd love to help any way I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails