Thursday, March 18, 2010

Notes for newbies - hand quilting tutorial

Pin It
The center appliqué section of my (soon to be coming) modabakeshop tutorial calls for hand quilting. 

It was the first time I'd ever tried it.  I hope this helps save you some trial and error!


Anna Maria Horner recently posted a tutorial on hand-quilting.  I wish this had been done before I started; her tutorial is excellent, and also a great resource.


(Click on the pictures to read the text)


Hiding the knot:

Quilting along:



Hiding the ending knot:

When you fail to hide the knot:

So pretty at the end. :)

A few final thoughts:

- You need an embroidery needle, but it will save your fingers if you use a smaller, rather than larger one.  I'd use the smallest size you can find that will fit the thread.

- A thimble helps

- Most quilters would tell you to use a hoop; I didn't.

- The thread here is Perle cotton No. 8 in assorted coordinating colors.  I found mine here.

- Hand quilting is great to have on hand when the baby falls asleep in the car and you don't want to wake him, or you want to sit in front of the TV and still do something.



1 comment:

Kim and Jim said...

Your blog is amazing! I love your style of quilting. Thanks for all the tutorials!
Your fellow quilter,
Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails