Friday, October 26, 2012

It's Cosmic Baby - Festival Quilt

Pin It
Pattern is now ready!

Happy Bloggers' Quilt Festival!  Welcome!


"Cosmic" Quilt

Meet "Cosmic."  

Specs -- 
Measurements: 90" square
Techniques: This quilt is constructed with a combination of templates, and rotary cutting.  (Those of you interested in the pattern will be happy there are no Y seams)
Pattern and Design and pieced by me! 
Quilted by: Connie Adams at The Rabbit Hole Quilt Shop (thank you for the quick turn around time!)
Best Categories: Bed Quilt, Professionally Quilted, Quilt photographs


This is the quilt I've been so busy with the last few weeks, which is now hanging out in Houston with Laura Gunn, in the booth for her new line "Cosmos" with Michael Miller fabrics.

The pattern is in the writing/testing phase now, and I hope to have it ready soon!  (I'll be emailing those who are interested).

This quilt is built with BIG (28") blocks that were inspired by this vintage scarf I saw on pinterest.  I modified the design a bit, because I didn't want any negative space between the points.  After graph-papering, and then EQ-ing up a bunch of different versions to get it just right, I made up a few of the blocks.

Cosmic Block

When Laura contacted me about making her a quilt for Market, I thought this design would showcase her large-scale prints beautifully.

And it does.

Poppy Cosmic block

The quilt measures 90" square, and I was happy to find someone local who could rush the long-arm quilting for me.  I think I was a little bit crazy trying to get this done during harvest time, but it worked out thankfully!

"Cosmic" quilt

On the back, I pieced in some of the panel that comes with the Cosmos collection.  I love that Laura's collections really look like art.

"Cosmic" quilt back

A big thank you to my parents for holding up the quilt so I could get pictures before I sent it away, and to E @ pinksuedeshoe for editing my parents out of the shot, to Angela for sharing, to Connie for the quick quilting, and to Laura for this beautiful fabric and great opportunity!

Also -- thank you to Amy for hosting this fun festival! 

Amy's Creative Side

Harvest is almost over! (last field now!)
My plan is to work hard on finishing this pattern up as soon as I get my hubby back... so hopefully it will all be ready within a couple weeks! :) Check back if you love it! Which I really hope you do.

And link me if you see any pictures of this quilt hanging out at Quilt Market! I hope to join it in the Spring! :)

OK -- a couple more pictures --

"Cosmic" quilt

Cosmic quilt back

60 comments:

Staci said...

Yay! This is really wonderful!

Kelsey said...

LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!! Can't wait until the pattern is out!

Poppyprint said...

That is one HUGEmungous quilt, Tracey! What a gorgeous design! Looking forward to trying it out soon. Congratulations - I'm sure Laura will be thrilled to have that work of art in her booth.

shannon said...

your quilt is beautiful!!

i will be looking forward to the pattern as well!!!

Heidi Grohs said...

Tracey...It is AMAZING...and sicne I know about the headshot..WOW!! to the amazing photoshopping!!! :D

It is gorgeous and I can't imagine that Laura was disappointed AT all. You showcase those large prints beautifully!!

Ginette said...

This quilt is absolutely fabulous!! I love it!!
The fabrics are gorgeous as well!

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Another wonderful quilt!! Love it!

Jenniffier said...

What a wonderful quilt!

Marci Girl said...

Beautiful, the pattern is fabulous and you are right Laura's fabric is perfect for it!

Mina said...

Beautiful...love those colors

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Gorgeous Tracy! Great pattern!

Cille said...

Love, love, love... I like everything about this from the large blocks to your fabrics. You really make amazing quilts, Tracey.

Jan said...

Fabulous block to use. The fabric is showcased perfectly.

Mermaid Sews said...

Amazing!!!

Cindy said...

Gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

Love this! It's gorgeous!

Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

Wow, it's so fabulous! I really love it!

Lara said...

This is amazing! I love it!

sandra said...

As usual Tracey one gorgeous quilt. I love Laura Gunn's fabric it is so beautiful. The pattern certainly showcases the large prints. Thanks once again for your beautiful work.







justacraftymother said...

wholly cow!!! that is stunning!!!!

Amy Friend said...

Fabulous design--it really does show off her prints nicely!

Alison V. said...

Those blocks are so beautiful and intricate!

DianeY said...

Wow! I love it!

Katie B said...

Another beauty, Tracey!!

Cathy said...

Super fabulous!

Kate said...

Stunning!

Lindsey said...

love love love love love!
Seriously. My bed wants it!!

♥Duff said...

utter fabulousness!This is going to be a definite "hit" (and pin!) all over blogland. Congrats on having your handiwork in Laura Gunn's booth--what an honor!

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous quilt - the large blocks are perfect for those large scale prints.

Debbie said...

This is REALLY lovely!

Shontelle said...

Awesome, great design. Well done!

Joelle said...

Amazing! I wish I had your talent. It would be fun to test thu
Is pattern!

trish said...

Your quilt is gorgeous and wow ... during harvest time ... you are a trooper! :o)

aksherry said...

I must make this!!! Super awesome!!!

einfach bunt said...

Oh, I love the pattern!And I like the photo with the (John Deere?) machine!

Ariane said...

This quilt is just gorgeous! I love the large blocks. And I love the pieced back!!

Simply Sandy said...

I love how this pattern was inspired by a scarf. It is the perfect pattern to show off this beautiful fabric. And the back is pretty, too.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Ok, I want to make a whole black and white quilt! That is awesome. Seriously Tracey, you have such an eye for awesome!

CitricSugar said...

Gorgeous!! I will have to check out that pattern - I love no y-seams. ;-)

Beautiful quilt - great fabric choices!

Marian-Lady Face said...

It so pretty!! You make such wonderful patterns! I am also in love with these fabrics, they're beautiful! I'm glad everyone gets to oogle this lovely beauty at Market!! How exciting, and it's so pretty!

felicity said...

Perfect and gorgeous - well done you!!

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

Really pretty! You are so talented!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

So pretty, Tracey!! I love it!

Bernie said...

Would love the pattern!

Ellie Roberts said...

You are always amazing Tracey, I love it!!

Lucy said...

Great quilt! I love the use of large-scale prints!

Lyanna L. said...

love this quilt - I am a fan of the pattern and you used the prints ideally. Thanks for sharing!! =)

Melissa Corry said...

Love this pattern Tracey!! It is stunning!!

Rachaeldaisy said...

This is really awesome!!! Such a great block!! And it looks wonderful in Laura Gunns fun fabrics. It's going to be a popular pattern for sure.

Candace said...

This quilt is stunning. I love the blocks, and the fabrics!

Heidi Staples said...

Gorgeous!

Mom said...

really fun pattern :-) Lovely

Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab and love the bid flowers on the back :o)

Rachell said...

Ooooh lovely! Yes, I want the pattern!
And is that a Swoon quilt on your header? Cool!
Claddaghsquiltsandstars.blogspot.com

Sandra said...

that is the perfect pattern to showcase your friend's fabric.

Great design and construction.

Come see my Batik Tulips #46

and my antique zigzag-a-licious quilt #23

Studio V said...

I can't wait till this pattern is out!! ;) love your quilt!

bozi said...

beautifully chosen fabric. Masterly work. I admire your artistry

Unknown said...

i would really love this pattern. my mum wants to make me a quilt for xmas and i love this. email me! sarah.lamson2@gmail.com :D

The Erickson Family said...

I can't wait for the pattern!

Candy said...

Will definitely want the pattern when it comes out. So much possibility. thank you. Good job
Candy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails