Friday, July 13, 2012

a hunky dory baby...

Pin It
I finished a little quilt.

Baby Hunky Dory

This is the second half of a trade I did with a local photographer (she also got my "if it's a boy" quilt).  Inspired by Kelly, and the quilts she makes for her photography friend, (I'd link you to her pinterest board but I can't see anything on pinterest right now???), I thought another photographer might want to use quilts as props, and happily, Nicole was interested! :)

Kelly had a picture of this little quilt done in Hunky Dory, that Nicole saw a picture of and really liked.  But much to my chagrin, I do not have a Hunky Dory stash, and just had some leftover wonky nine-patch blocks from when I made this quilt.

lawn hunky copy

Normally I would sash wonky nine-patch blocks, but Kelly advised me that for photos, keeping it as one solid background is best.  I used a Bella pale pink for the border, as white is often too harsh.  The corner blocks are just some coordinating kona solids -- and I think those two blocks might be my favorite in the quilt.  I love the juxtaposition of the ordered solids, and the wonky, somewhat chaotic prints.

AND -- when I tested the quilt with my less than mediocre photography/photoshop skills, and my very adorable daughter, it turned out beautifully.

Baby Hunky Dory

and *phew*

I decided to quilt in cross-hatch because I love the look of cross-hatch, and I thought it would be a nice contrast to the wonkiness of the blocks.  I especially like how it looks in the border.

Baby Hunky Dory

Because I wanted the quilt to be reversible for Nicole, I found a pretty Hunky Dory print on ebay, and used it as the backing.  

Baby Hunky dory back

I think it looks so soft and fresh and pretty!  

I got to see a sneak peek of the family pictures that we got in exchange for the quilts -- I love them!

my favorite people

And I CAN'T WAIT to see what Nicole does with these little quilts, and all the sweet babies who will borrow them. :)



12 comments:

Angela said...

well it's all adorable, but Tracey YOU are the most adorable one in this whole post. Most gorgeous hair ever!

Katie B said...

What a good trade for both of you! I adore your family photo. What a gorgeous bunch!

♥Duff said...

Once again, a baby quilt we'll all swoon over! I particularly like the solid color blocks--neatly chaotic.
And yes, I agree, a cute quilt and beautiful baby make pictures easy to take :O)
Great family photo--Steiger is getting so big!

Katy Cameron said...

Love how the quilt came out, and love the photo preview, you absolutely shine in it :o)

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Lovely your family pictures on such sweet quilts!

Rosa said...

A beautiful quilt and great family photos!!

sandra said...

What a beautiful family and two adorable children. I of course love your quilt. Can I ask you a question? How far apart do you do your crosshatching and do you mark the lines on your quilt? Thanks Sandra

Dana Gaffney said...

Your posts always make me smile. I love the quilt, especially with the little beauty sitting in the middle of it. Thanks.

Kirsten said...

A really beautiful quilt - and such a lovely family photo!

felicity said...

I would call that a VERY successful trade!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Lovely, just lovely. Your quilts, your baby girl and your sweet family. Also, I miss you :)

Heidi Grohs said...

How did you pull that guy away from the fields for that great picture!!!! The quilt, as always, beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails