Thursday, September 26, 2013
Kiley's Princesses and Mermaids quilt
I finished this little custom quilt last week.
This was my starting stack of fabric.
Kiley's mom told me a few colors and that Kiley wanted "princesses, butterflies, and mermaids." I thought it would be a perfect excuse to use this Alexander Henry "Once Upon a Time" print.
For the design - I stole from an idea I used a long time ago, when I made this little Plume quilt. It lets you feature a big focal print with the frame as well as the wide directional border.
The half-square triangles make a nice contrast.
For the quilting, I used a basic, loopy free motion all over. It gives good texture, looks cute, and complements all the triangle points well.
I have made quilts for Kiley's brother, and baby sister, and I didn't want her to feel left out by not having her name on this quilt. So I decided to put it on the back, so that when it was folded down, it shows up the right way.
I screwed up the piecing on this a couple times, but ripped a few seams, and eventually got it right. :)
Kiley picked the mermaid backing herself (from Out to Sea by Sarah Jane for Michael Miller).
Binding was a pink and purple from Tula Pink's Parisville from my stash.
I don't do very many custom quilts, but this one was fun to work on! Thanks Kiley! ♥ I can't wait to see it in your room!