Sunday, March 27, 2011

books + 1st trimester = good friends

Pin It I got a nookcolor with my Christmas money.

It has been a good companion while navigating the first trimester. :)

I thought I'd pass on my thoughts --

Heather recommended this series a while back, and I was not disappointed.



I read all of them in just a few days.  I love having a series already published when I start it.  It's such a nice escape.  This one deals with a girl who goes to Dublin, Ireland to investigate the mysterious murder of her sister. It winds up being that she has secret abilities to see the parallel Fae universe, which is attempting to take over ours... if you're a reader who likes to stay grounded in reality, this is not the series for you... but if you'd like to follow the would-be-impossible-if-not-for-some-unrealized-powers-and-unmatchable-allies quest of our young twenty-something heroine (who, like the heroine of another book I know, draws the attention of a much-older and completely inappropriately matched man for her), then it is a fun read.  It's got a  touch of gratuitousness to it, but not so much that I felt like I needed to skip entire chapters... and it's definitely a bit dark... enough so that I'd feel nervous reading late at night, and glad Jay was there. :)

This weekend I also finished the "Study Series" by Maria V. Snyder.  Poison Study is April's read for the "Quilty Girls Book Club," but since I had already read March's book, and I'm not doing much sewing these days, I got started on this one early.


- has the tragic, larger than life heroine who discovers unique, hidden talents
- she, of course, captures the love and attention of an unlikely suitor
- it's not a perfect ending, but the good guys still (mostly) make it.

A fun read.  There are three in this series... the first one is the best, in my opinion, but they're all really enjoyable.  Again -- it's got a bit of fantasy, which I like... I don't want anything too serious when I'm reading to escape the queasies.

I went two days in a row this week of no nap while Steiger was napping (I had errands to run -- don't worry... Daddy or Grandma was with Steiger), so I'm hoping I'll get some energy back soon!  I really do miss my machine.

__________________________________

One more series -- if you haven't read the Hunger Games yet, it's also right up there in a good series to read.  I finished it over Christmas-time... but I thought I'd give in a mention in case you've been living under a rock and haven't heard about it yet.  The main character is living in a Dystopia, and must use her -- yet again -- unrealized potential and handsome suitors to save the day (I'm noticing a theme in my literature here). ;)

If you've got any recommendations for either a good series, or a good boy's name (I have a strong inkling the next one will be a boy, and while I was wrong with Steiger, I don't think so... but I have no idea how we'll name another boy after the name "Steiger!"), please leave it in the comments!  And I hope to be joining you in sewing land again soon!

17 comments:

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

You have to read Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series too! It is the series that comes before the fever series. It is the BEST ever! They are connected.

Jan said...

I'm glad you're enjoying you nook. I haven't read these books but will keep them in mind. (I read a lot & I work at B&N.)

Hilachas said...

I got a NOOK color for my birthday in February and I'm loving it. We read different types of books but I'm totally enjoying the ones I read too.

felicity said...

I loved the Hunger Games trilogy. I have been reading a lot of Connie Willis lately - Doomsday Book and Blackout/All Clear. Both set in the future when historians can time travel back to events to observe them. Wonderfully creative/inventive.

Katie B said...

Have you read Matched by Ally Condle? It has a similar feel to the Hunger Games books. It's the first in a series, but the second isn't out until November.

Sarah Craig said...

Have you read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series? A little more meat than what you're reading now, but great characters, time travel, love, men in kilts, all the really important stuff!

And I love the name David for a boy.....

Wendy said...

Thank you so much for the recommendations! It's nice to have something good to read while waiting for your authors' new books to come out. Steigler is a tough name to follow ... I've got two girls and went with Emily and Abigail, not too cutting edge there. A friend of mine had two boys and went with Tristin and Bridger. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

QuiltNut Creations said...

love the Fever series! and I agree, her Highlander series is fabulous as is the Black Dagger Brotherhood books. happy reading!

Angela said...

Fun books! I love all of these recommendations. I was trying not to read too much about the Poison Study because I haven't started it yet. ;) But those others sound interesting.

Let's see, my younger brother's name was Thaddeus. That's a name worthy of standing with Steiger.

Becky said...

I am in the process of reading the Fever series and LOVE LOVE it. I am on FaeFever right now.
And thank you Colleen for saying something about the Highlander series. I may have to get that too. Now if I could just buy one of the nooks or readers so that I don't have to buy the paper copies. I am running out of book room...lol

debbie m said...

Ok, I'm sure I'm telling my age, which is fine. Have you ever read Roger Zelazny? He died in 95, but wrote a very interesting fantasy series called The Chronicles of Amber. It is fantasy, but he characters are human-like. It is the only series I was able to stick with and read all of the books...back in the day as my son says.
BTW I named my son Sterling (old english-means pure of heart) and Myles (also old english- means soldier). My translation- Sterling Myles- Knight in Shining Armor! Not sure if a name has anything to do with a personality or if I just got this one right, he is kind hearted and a champion to the bullied, although he is a bit on the scrawny side ;-)
Hope you're over the queasies and tired part soon.

Unknown said...

Oooh oooh I love book blogs. I have heard a lot about The Hunger Games. Thanks for the great reccomendations, I am always looking for a good read.

Karen S said...

OMGosh! I have been wanting a Nook Color! I am hoping for one for Mother's day/birthday. It's so nice to see that others like theirs.

Hilachas said...

I said above that the types of books we like are somewhat different and you wrote asking for suggestions. The books I've read on my NOOK and liked:
The Maze Runner
Look Again
The Many Faces of Van Helsing
and I'm going to buy "The Discovery of Witches" and "The School of Essential Ingredients."

Pinky said...

Not sure how much you like fantasy, but have you ever read the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan? The author died a couple of years ago, but they are finishing off the last three books off his notes, character plans etc. So, all up there is (will be) 14 books, the last of which comes out this year. I got completely swept into them!

KarrieLyne said...

OHhhh....I have a Kindle and love it!! I also just started Darkfever this weekend and am loving it so far!! Hunger Games was awesome! Have you read Hush,Hush, and Torment? Those are good too! Another Heather recommendation!

Hmmm...boy names. I like the name Grayson. Or Cooper. :)

Lawbag said...

Just saw this post. My favorite name for a boy is Aiden. I actually got the name from one of my favorite fantasy series by Judith Tarr. Alamut and the sequal, The Dagger and the Cross, are historical fantasy. Really fun reading. Alamut is now available for Kindle, but not for nook yet. There is free conversion software available though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails