Monday, February 21, 2011

little lovebirds

Pin It Yesterday I got to give a dear friend of mine a quilt.

lovebirds baby quilt

It is for her soon to be born baby girl.

A while back, she had sent me some links to bedding sets she liked.  One of them used the Lovebirds fabric by Dena Designs for FreeSpirit.  Using that as my starting point, I bought a few coordinating prints from the Leanika collection, and added in some blenders from my stash.  The gray in the diamond blocks is Kona Ash; the design inspiration came from a quilt in Material Obsession.

I tried a little something different with the quilting for this one -- adding a little free-motion cathedral-esque flower in the center of the gray blocks... I thought they looked adorable with the cross-hatching.

up close of quilting

Here -- I'll show you on the back too:

quilt back

(The back is what was left of the Lovebirds yardage, combined with some Kona Crush in aqua.)

You might recognize the scalloped edge from another baby girl quilt I've made before... I think I'm going to make it "my thing" (but feel free to copy) on baby girl quilts.  I really like it... and with a biased binding, it's not  hard to do at all.  I also went with a directional border.  I LOVE directional borders, and so long as you use the left-over yardage in the backing, there's no waste (though it is easier to do with your centerpiece being the WOF or less).

Inspired by the label Krista included on the pillow cover she sent me, I decided to try out my machine's alphabet stitches.  In case you can't read it, it says:
"Welcome baby girl
♥ ♥ ♥ with love, Tracey ♥ ♥ ♥"

I've decided it's also "my thing" to add a strip of the selvage to my labels; I've been doing it on most of my quilts lately, and really like it.  I save a section of the name, and of the color dots... and it's just so cute.

little label

Oh, and the mama of this little quilt's recipient loved it...

lovebirds baby quilt

...but I knew she would.

______________________________

I have this week off (yea!)

On the sewing agenda -- 
  • Finish up my niecey's Sunkissed quilt (she'll be arriving Wednesday, if not sooner -- her quilt though won't be arriving with her unfortunately)
  • Make some bee blocks.
  • Work on my Make Mine Modern swap package.
  • and finish my Urban Lattice quilt (I got the backing fabric this week).
On the mommy agenda -- 

Enjoy this little pickle as much as possible.  Because even though I'm only working three days/week... I definitely miss him.

And he's cute too. ;)



20 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

Your lovebirds quilt is adorable and I love the quilting on it!! Enjoy your week off, what a nice break for you :)

Katie B said...

I love this quilt! The scallop is definitely your thing. When I saw this on Flickr, I knew you made it without looking at the name!

Have a great week off :)

AllieKatMom said...

He is cute!! Too cute I think!

Love the quilt, very pretty! She would be crazy to not love it.

Karen said...

Tracey, this is SO adorable. Love, love, love it! Great job!

Enjoy your little guy this week!

verykerryberry said...

Beautiful baby quilt, love the grey and the scallop edge and all the prints, lovely gift

Lee said...

I like your "things," especially the selvedge on the label! What a great idea. Such a cute quilt, I'm sure your friend will love it.

Jewel said...

The quilt is so cute! I am about half done with a quilt out of this same fabric. I just love it!

Sarah R said...

What a wonderful gift. Your quilting looks beautiful.

Meghan said...

I am amazed- you are working three days and week and still stitching away. I have got to get my quilting schedule together!!! Love all the pictures of S he is pretty darn cute!

The Whites said...

Tracy your free motion flowers look soo good! And I love your directional print border. Im not sure Ive ever seen that before. It looks really cute!

Dana Gaffney said...

I love the pic with the glasses, he's so happy with himself. Thanks for giving me my dose. The quilt is beautiful also, I really like that love bird fabric.

Cathy said...

I Love the scalloped edge and the fabric is just lovely! Just perfect for a baby girl!!

Poppyprint said...

Of course she loved it!!! It's beautiful and I also like all of your Tracey 'things'. Great label! And yes, very cute pickle.

Pinky said...

oooo... selvedges on the label?!?! that is just the best idea ever!!!

I never really know what to do with selvedges - I just don't think that I have the patience to make things out of them, but I feel like I should keep them!

TheTaffs said...

I love the quilting in this. So beautiful

TheTaffs said...

I love the quilting in this. So beautiful

Angela said...

Tracey I love how you are creating things that are "your thing". It's nice to look at your work and find that it is recognizable as belonging to you. Fun ideas!!

Julie said...

I love this quilt. The lovebirds fabric isbeautiful. I like your 'things' especially using the selvedge. I hate throwing them away as they often look so pretty - this is such a good way of using ithem sensibly (and it would help me remember the name of the fabirc which I am useless at!). Juliex

Karen said...

It is so pretty. Great idea having one edge scalloped. Looks great. Great colours too.

Regina said...

What a great quilt and congratulations in advance Auntie! Love the quilting and all your personal touches!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails